PhD Candidate in Economics, UCLA
Applied theory, political economy, industrial organization
I am on the 2017-18 job market and will be available for interviews at the ASSA meeting in Philadelphia, PA, January 5-7, 2018
Department of Economics
8283 Bunche Hall
315 Portola Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477
1. Elite Persistence, Power Struggles and Coalition Dynamics (Job Market Paper) [PDF]
Why do revolutions that aim to install social equality often quickly reproduce the same type of hierarchies that the revolutionaries sought to destroy?
2. The Economic Motives of Foot-binding (with Lingwei Wu) [PDF]
The emergence, diffusion and decadence of a cultural tradition (foot-binding) in response to changes in upward social mobility (Keju).
3. Bureaucratic Control, Information Management, and Governmental Responsiveness (with Feng Yang) [PDF]
How should a mid-tier official promote his subordinates to build up reputation when the big boss is watching you?
Work in progress
4. Monitoring Dynamics in Fighting Corruption
An anti-corruption investigator may deliberately turn a blind eye to early corruption behavior then use the threat of confiscation to enforce future good actions.
5. Investment with News Arrival
When launching new products, the best firms sometimes "wait and see": allow others to test the market, and enter the market after the potential is proven.