Assistant Professor of Economics
Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business (CKGSB)
Applied theory, political economy, industrial organization
2026 Tower E2, Oriental Plaza, 1 East Chang An Ave, Beijing, China
Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
1. Elite Persistence, Power Struggles and Coalition Dynamics [PDF]
Why do revolutions that aim to install social equality often quickly reproduce the same type of hierarchies that the revolutionaries sought to destroy?
2. The Economic Motives of Foot-binding (with Lingwei Wu) [PDF]
The emergence, diffusion and decadence of a cultural tradition (foot-binding) in response to changes in upward social mobility (Keju).
3. Bureaucratic Control, Information Management, and Governmental Responsiveness (with Feng Yang) [PDF]
Accepted at Journal of Theoretical Politics
How should a mid-tier official promote his subordinates to build up reputation when the big boss is watching you?
Work in progress
4. Monitoring Dynamics in Fighting Corruption
An anti-corruption investigator may deliberately turn a blind eye to early corruption behavior then use the threat of confiscation to enforce future good actions.
5. Investment with News Arrival
When launching new products, the best firms sometimes "wait and see": allow others to test the market, and enter the market after the potential is proven.
6. The Promotion Club (with Shuo Chen and Zhitao Zhu)
To recruit preferred agents without distorting average working incentives, the principal establishes a promotion club, committing to include top-performers, but only promote from within the club based on personal discretion.